If there’s one fish southerners actually love, it’s in all probability catfish. While we are inclined to bread and fry our catfish, utilizing it to make a spicy, savory stew is a traditional approach to make the most of this fabulous fish. This is my low carb model of the regional favourite, and it makes for a flavorful Lenten Friday meal. It’s additionally tremendous easy to assemble, so no worrying about any fancy pants prep work or cooking strategies right here.
Notes: If you’ll be able to’t discover fish or seafood broth or inventory (or can’t discover one that’s clear), use an equal amount of water, mince a couple of small chunks of the fish and add them to the pot initially of the 30 minute simmer so that they soften into it and add that seafood style you’re searching for.
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 giant bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz (794 g) can hearth roasted crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 c (6 fl oz/ 177 ml) seafood broth or inventory
- 2 tbsp scorching sauce (I used Frank’s)
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke (sugar-free)
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp floor black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- pinch celery seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) cleaned catfish fillets, lower into 1″ chunks
- inexperienced onion, sliced, to garnish if desired
- frssh parsley, chopped, to garnish if desired
- In a big soup pot, warmth the avocado oil over medium. When scorching, add within the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté till simply translucent.
- Add the whole can of fireplace roasted tomatoes, the seafood inventory, and all of the remaining seasonings and stir nicely.
- Bring to a boil, then scale back warmth to low and simmer half-hour, with the lid on, stirring often to maintain the underside from scorching.
- Add the catfish chunks and proceed to simmer a further 10 minutes, or till the catfish chunks are cooked by way of and flaky.
- Remove from the warmth, stir nicely, and serve scorching garnished with sliced inexperienced onion and chopped recent parsley, if desired.
Per serving (not together with garnish): 183 cal, 16.4 g protein, 6.8 g fats, 13 g carbs, 2.6 g fiber, 10.4 g NET carbs
Keywords: Catfish stew, soup, catfish, pescatarian, southern, lent