One of our favourite vacation dishes is inexperienced bean casserole. My daughter asks for it just about each time a particular feast day rolls round. It’s form of an previous normal in most properties, however sadly the recipe historically contains some very unfriendly substances, like cream of mushroom soup and French-fried onions. Those are, fairly clearly, out on a keto protocol.
The excellent news is that with a number of tweaks, you possibly can have inexperienced bean casserole as soon as once more!
Credit the place it’s due, the key form of this recipe is impressed by the inexperienced bean casserole from Caveman Keto. Early on in my keto journey, I attempted this recipe out at a household gathering filled with non-keto people, and acquired lots of constructive suggestions. I like the idea of substituting in a mix of mayo, heavy cream, and sautéed veggies for the traditional- and carb-loaded!- “cream of” soups, and have efficiently applied that concept in a number of different casseroles.
Some of the alternatives within the authentic recipe, nonetheless, weren’t fairly those I’d have made for my very own tastes and that of my household. For starters, I’m not a fan of soupy casseroles, so the moist ingredient portions needed to come down. We want simply sufficient to make it creamy and saucy, however not a lot that it’s inexperienced bean soup. I’m additionally not an enormous mushroom eater, and so I eradicated that solely. If you simply love mushrooms, you possibly can definitely add them again into the combo, and I’d suggest doing so in equal amount to the celery and onion so you’ve got a great taste stability with out including too many carbs. Most of the opposite adjustments I made have been to maintain or improve the flavour, whereas additionally holding the carb depend underneath management.
Personally, I choose the thinner minimize, French-style inexperienced beans in my casserole, as that’s how I grew up consuming it. If you want normal minimize higher, go forward and swap it out. Same with the cheese. Got a kind you want higher? Use it!
Last, however definitely not least, is the lacking crunch. Leaving off the standard French-fried onions is a should on keto, however that leaves you with a dish that’s largely mush. I fastened that by cooking the veg till it’s simply translucent as a substitute of tremendous gentle, which yields a great taste whereas additionally holding a great deal of their pure “bite,” and throwing in some chopped, cooked bacon for a bit added savory goodness, and, after all, the crunch. Bacon makes all the pieces higher, and that is no exception.
Feel free to swap out the cheese together with your favourite, or to go halvsies with the cheddar. I’ve efficiently modified this dish to incorporate smoked cheddar, smoked gouda, and pepper jack cheeses in varied combos. Use what you want and have enjoyable!
- 4 tbsp (2 oz/ 57 g) salted butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1.5 oz (43 g) celery, sliced width-clever to about 1/8″ thickness
- 1.5 oz (43 g) yellow onion, diced
- 2 (14.5 oz/411 g) cans French-style inexperienced beans, drained and rinsed (29 oz/ 822 g whole)
- 2 tbsp pimento, diced
- 1/3 cup (2.67 fl oz/ 79 ml) heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (2.67 fl oz/ 79 ml) mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper, to style
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and roughly chopped
- 6 oz (170 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F.
- Melt butter over medium warmth in a small saucepan.
- Add garlic to pan and sweat for about 30 seconds, till aromatic.
- Add onion and celery to pan and saute till the onion simply begins to grow to be translucent. Remove from warmth.
- In a medium casserole dish, combine the drained inexperienced beans, pimentos, and onion combination (together with the butter).
- In a small bowl, combine collectively the heavy cream, mayonnaise, and seasonings. Pour over the vegetable combination and stir nicely to mix.
- Stir within the bacon and cheese to mix and clean out the highest of the casserole.
- Bake at 350 levels F for 25-half-hour, or till bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes earlier than serving.
Per 1/6 of the casserole: 363.3 cal, 10.2 g protein, 32.8 g fats, 7.4 g carbs, 2.7 g fiber, 4.7 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/6 casserole