My step-dad and his complete household are from Cincinnati, Ohio, so one factor I grew up consuming that just about no different Southerners would declare is Cincinnati Chili. This is most actually not like Texas chili. It can, nevertheless, be completely keto so long as you’re aware in the way it’s served. It’s additionally my husband’s favourite dish, and we eat it yearly (ketofied these days) on his birthday.
Originally created by immigrants from Macedonia, Cincinnati Chili has a definite Mediterranean spice profile. Think cinnamon, allspice, and clove in a wealthy and meaty tomato sauce. The commonest model title underneath which you may discover it offered (be it in a can, a frozen bundle, or at a restaurant) is Skyline, and it’s usually served over noodles and topped with onion, shredded cheese, and Tobasco on the facet. Sometimes beans are added to make it a 5-manner dish, and different occasions it may be served as a coney (aka, a chili-topped sizzling canine).
At some level a very long time in the past, my mom got here throughout a recipe to take advantage of wonderful dip with Cincinnati chili, and it’s lengthy been a private favourite. This dish is a low carb, casserole-fashion riff off the Cincinnati-style chili canine and that tremendous dip, sort of rolled into one.
Notes: I very simply discover the cans of Skyline chili within the canned meat and soup part of the grocery retailer, and I dwell in a Publix state (aka, not near Ohio). Check your native grocer earlier than ordering something.
It also needs to be famous that whereas each can I’ve bought right here (and that associates have bought) present very clear components, I did come throughout one gentleman in our Facebook group who might solely discover cans that listed cornstarch on the label, which is not any good. I think these are an older recipe, but when that’s the case in your city, test your freezer case and sub within the frozen type as a substitute (warmth it by way of first), which is certainly clear.
As with many tomato sauce primarily based dishes, that is even higher the subsequent day.
Cincinnati Chili Dip Casserole
- 10 oz (283 g) frozen riced cauliflower
- 8 oz (227 g) brick cream cheese, softened
- 3 oz (85 g) diced onion
- 15 oz (425 g) beef sizzling canines, minimize into chunk-sized items
- 1 can (15 oz/425 g) Skyline chili, stirred nicely
- 8 oz (227 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Tobasco sauce, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 levels F and put together a 9×11 casserole dish.
- Heat the riced cauliflower within the microwave as per the bundle instructions.
- Once the riced cauliflower is heated by way of, drain it, then wrap it in a tea towel and squeeze out any remaining liquid.
- In the casserole dish or a mixing bowl, mix the recent cauliflower and the cream cheese till blended nicely, then unfold the combination evenly into the underside of the dish.
- Sprinkle the diced onion evenly excessive of the cauliflower combination.
- Sprinkle the minimize up sizzling canines evenly over the onion.
- Pour the chili over the recent canines, spreading as essential to evenly cowl the casserole.
- Top the casserole with the shredded cheddar and bake at 350 levels F for 30-35 minutes, or till cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 15-20 minutes earlier than serving sizzling.
- Top every portion with just a few shakes of Tobasco sauce, if desired, and luxuriate in!
Per serving: 611 cal, 27.9 g protein, 50.6 g fats, 8.9 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 6,9 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: 1/6 casserole
Keywords: Chili, Cincinnati chili, skyline, coney, casserole