Eating offal is a topic that’s been immensely in style the final yr or so within the well being and wellness neighborhood, and for good purpose! Organ meats are probably the most nutrient dense meals on the planet, beating out plant-primarily based “superfoods” in nearly each metric.
Due to this rising pattern, a number of good mates have requested me to provide you with low carb recipes that assist them extra simply incorporate organs meat into their keto life-style. While I’m personally within the camp that has a little bit of a psychological block towards consuming offal, I made a decision to broaden my Ketogenic palate and take the problem.
Y’all know I like me some Louisiana-style cooking, and Dirty Rice was the primary recipe thought I had that matches the organ meat invoice. While I often attempt to keep true to the variations between Creole and Cajun cooking, I made a decision to take some liberties right here and make this my very own with issues I had readily available.
Dirty Rice usually accommodates a measure of rooster giblets, however I made a decision to make use of floor up rooster coronary heart as an alternative. I additionally threw in a little bit of a flowery, spicy twist and used a pound of bison chorizo I picked up from US Wellness Meats. And, with many apologies to my Creole mates, I used a bottled Cajun seasoning. For authenticity’s sake, you would simply change out these elements for extra conventional ones, whereas retaining the strategy, nevertheless it positive is tasty this fashion!
The finish outcome was a delightfully spicy one-dish meal that my whole household ate with out ever suspecting the organ meat shock. That’s dietary successful, y’all.
- 2 tbsp bacon drippings
- 3 1/2 oz rooster hearts, floor or minced within the meals processor
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) Bison Chorizo (or floor sausage)
- 2 oz (57 g) yellow onion, diced
- 1 oz (28 g) celery, diced
- 1 oz (28 g) inexperienced bell pepper, diced
- 1 oz (28 g) jalapeno pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 20 oz (567 g) frozen cauliflower rice, damaged up
- 1 c (8 fl oz/ 240 ml) rooster broth
- 2 tsp Cajun seasoning (sugar-free)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- recent floor black pepper, to style
- 2 tbsp salted butter (ghee or avocado oil could also be used for these with dairy points)
- In a big skillet, warmth the bacon drippings over medium-excessive.
- Add the rooster hearts to the skillet and prepare dinner a minute or two to get it going.
- Stir within the buffalo chorizo and proceed to prepare dinner over medium-excessive warmth.
- Once the meats are about half accomplished, stir within the garlic, onion, celery, bell pepper, and jalapeno and proceed cooking till the meat is browned via, stirring usually.
- Add the caulirice, broth, and seasonings to the combination and stir effectively.
- Turn down the warmth to medium and put the lid on. Cook with the lid on for five minutes.
- Remove the lid and proceed to prepare dinner over medium, stirring incessantly, one other 5-10 minutes, or till a lot of the liquid is evaporated and the caulirice is cooked via.
- Add the butter and stir to soften, then take away from the warmth and serve scorching.
Per 1/6 of the recipe: 292 cal, 26.1 g protein, 18.5 g fats, 6.7 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber, 3.8 g NET carbs
Keywords: Cajun, Louisiana, creole, soiled rice, organ meats, us wellness meats, chorizo, bison, buffalo, sausage