These cookies are an enormous hit with my son. Now, for those who’ve paid consideration in any respect to this website, that tidbit will point out to you that they have to be fairly darned good as a result of, as I’ve said repeatedly, my son is the pickiest human being to ever dwell.
To me, these cookies are type of a pleasant cross between gingerbread and a molasses cookie. They are sturdy sufficient to chop into shapes and maintain up properly, however they’ve acquired a pleasant, tender-ish texture inside. I choose them bare, however my children each demanded icing so I complied.
You are free to make use of as a lot heavy cream as you’d like within the icing to make it as thick or skinny as your choose. My children aren’t affected person sufficient to permit me to get this to piping consistency and make fancy designs, so I take advantage of simply sufficient cream to make it spreadable and start slathering as rapidly as humanly doable. If your loved ones is extra affected person, you possibly can take the time to make them fairly. In my home, I can barely get the icing on earlier than they begin disappearing!
Mandy’s Gingernut Cookies
For the cookies:
- 4 oz (113 g) pecan meal
- 1 tsp floor ginger
- 1/2 tsp floor cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp plain gelatin powder (I take advantage of Knox model)
- 1/4 tsp floor cloves
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- pinch sea salt
- 1/2 stick (2 oz/ 57 g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 oz (43 g) Swerve Brown or comparable
- 10 drops liquid vanilla stevia
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 giant egg
For the icing:
- 6 tbsp Confectioner’s Swerve, or powdered sweetener of selection
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp heavy cream, or sufficient to succeed in desired consistency
To make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375 levels F and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a small bowl, whisk collectively pecan meal, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, gelatin, xanthan gum, and salt. Set apart.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream collectively the butter and sweetener till mild and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla stevia and cream once more on low.
- Add the vanilla and cream once more on low.
- Add the egg and cream once more on medium till it’s properly blended.
- Begin beating within the pecan meal combination in three additions, beating on low in between every addition till the dough is simply mixed.
- Chill the dough within the fridge for half-hour.
- Once the dough is properly chilled, take away from the fridge and collect it collectively right into a ball along with your palms.
- Pat the dough out to about 1/6 of an inch thick. 1/4 inch is a hair too thick and 1/8 was too skinny, so shoot for splitting the distinction!
- Using a small cookie cutter of selection, minimize out shapes and set each apart rigorously. My ginger particular person is about 3 1-2″ in size, and a couple of 1/4″ throughout the arm span.
- Gather collectively dough scraps and pat out once more to chop extra shapes. This ought to yield a couple of dozen cookies, relying on how skinny you patted out the dough.
- Arrange on the parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. The heart ought to be set nevertheless it’s okay if it nonetheless appears to be like somewhat tender.
- Cool on wire racks utterly.
To make the icing:
- Combine the powdered Swerve, vanilla, and heavy cream in a small bowl and whisk collectively, including extra heavy cream if wanted, stirring till clean and to your required consistency.
- Decorate cookies, as desired, and sprinkle the tops with somewhat extra cinnamon to garnish, if desired.
Per 1 cookie: 113 cal, 1.4 G protein, 12.1 g fats, 8.9 g carbs, 0.8 g fiber, 7.2 g sugar alcohol, 0.9 g NET carbs
Keywords: Gingernut cookies, iced cookies, vacation, cookie bake