It’s Lent as soon as once more, and which means a number of vegetarian and pescatarian meals within the Pagano abode. My first low carb Lent providing this yr is a really tasty, Cajun-seasoned, Parmesan-crusted fish, served over coleslaw combine with a creamy lime and garlic dressing.
Fish tacos are a fairly large factor proper now; they normally include crispy breaded fish served over a candy, lime-laced coleslaw in road taco shells. Now, taco salad is one in every of my all-time favourite meals, and so the apparent answer to lack of tortilla is to serve my keto breaded fish salad-model. Because I’m busy and at all times seeking to simplify, I made a decision to make one dressing to rule all of them as a substitute of a lime dressing for the slaw and a separate remoulade to high.
The finish outcome was an excellent filling and attractive Lenten Friday meal that offers the parents down on the parish barbecue a run for his or her cash.
Notes: As per common, breading is a little bit of an inexact course of. I gave the perfect estimates as to how a lot of every ingredient I used, however relying on how heavy-handed you’re along with your dredging you would possibly want a little bit kind of. Hence, the coconut flour and Parmesan cheese measurements will not be useless on, and the macros are a little bit extra of an estimate than common. As lengthy as the quantity you utilize is pretty shut, your macros needs to be principally in step with mine.
Also, I’m conscious that individuals both love cilantro or hate it, so I garnished my bowl with this brilliant and exquisite herb (however left it off my cilantro-loathing husband’s), and listed it as an non-obligatory ingredient so you may customise to your personal choice.
Some of the weather on this dish are inexact in measurements, as a result of nature of breading. I’ll give my finest estimates on how a lot will likely be used, however you could use a little bit kind of than the quantities I’ve recommended. As lengthy because it’s shut, the macros will likely be pretty constant.
For the dressing:
- 1 c (8 fl oz/237 ml) bitter cream
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp floor black pepper
For the fish:
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) catfish fillets (or your favourite white fish), sliced into 1″ chunks
- 2 tbsp (approx. 1/2 oz/ 14 g) coconut flour
- 1/2 c (approx. 1 3/4 oz/ 50 g) Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning, divided
- 1-2 eggs, massive
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- avocado oil to fry, sufficient to fill about 1/4″ of the underside of a skillet
For the salad:
- 1 lb (16 oz/ 454 g) bag shredded coleslaw greens (uncooked cabbage combination)
- 2 massive radishes, rinsed properly and thinly sliced
- 1 oz (57 g) crimson onion, thinly sliced into strips
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- cilantro to garnish, if desired
For the dressing:
- Mix all dressing elements properly and refrigerate in an hermetic container till able to serve.
For the fish:
- In a large, shallow bowl or on a plate, stir collectively the coconut flour and 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine collectively egg and heavy cream to make an egg wash.
- In a large, shallow bowl stir collectively the Parmesan cheese and remaining Cajun seasoning.
- To bread the fish, dredge a bit calmly within the coconut flour. This will likely be a lightweight dusting, so shake off any extra.
- Next, dip your fish piece into the egg wash and permit any extra to drip again into the bowl.
- Finally, dredge the fish within the Parmesan combination, letting any extra shake again into the bowl, and put aside. Repeat with every bit of fish till it’s all breaded and let stand on a plate when you warmth your oil.
- In a big skillet, warmth avocado oil over medium-excessive till a drop of water pops and sizzles.
- Add just a few items at a time to fry, being cautious to not crowd the pan. Pan fry the primary facet for 3 minutes or so, or till the underside is golden brown and solidified.
- Flip the fish and proceed to fry on the second facet till it’s golden brown and uniform, and the fish is cooked by. This is not going to take lengthy, because the smaller items of fish will prepare dinner by in a short time. If the breading begins browning too shortly, flip the warmth right down to medium and proceed.
- Remove to empty on paper towels and repeat the frying course of with the remaining fish in batches.
For the salad:
- Toss collectively all greens.
- Divide the blended salad between six plates and high with equal parts sizzling fried fish and dressing to serve.
- Garnish with contemporary cilantro, if desired.
Per serving: 252 cal, 19.9 g protein, 14.7 g fats, 10.8 g carbs, 2.9 g fiber, 7.9 g NET carbs
Keywords: lent, fish, barbecue, pescatarian, fish taco, taco salad