Prior to her ignominious fall from grace, I used to be a reasonably large fan of Paula Deen. In truth, it was watching her cook dinner on the Food Network that drew me into the world of self-education within the culinary arts. Here was this lady who was well-known and beloved for her meals, and she didn’t should cook dinner all fancy-pants to get there! In a nutshell, she cooked and ate like me.
I went via a spell whereby I collected all her cookbooks, and I even subscribed to her journal. While it needs to be apparent to all that her strategies aren’t precisely keto pleasant, after I left carbland I rapidly concluded that the model and taste was salvageable, and set out to take action. Taking a lot of her concepts and translating them to a keto-friendly framework is how I got here up with a few of my household’s early keto favorites on my journey. This recipe occurs to be considered one of them.
I’m a enormous fan of cheddar soup, and good outdated Paula had a terrific recipe in her very first cookbook. Now, this recipe included an entire pile of issues that aren’t even remotely pleasant, like flour, milk, and onions in a amount per serving that have been a bit on the absurd aspect. I made this recipe pleasant by swapping out and scaling again these components, whereas making it my own- and right into a extra full meal- by reworking the entire shebang right into a thick and creamy broccoli and cheddar soup.
Recently, I made a decision to experiment a bit with including my konjac/glucommanan powder to the butter and sautéing onion to see if it could possibly be used instead of flour when making a roux. Happily, it labored fantastically, and I started my roux experiment with a pleasant, golden combination that thickened fantastically whereas including that further depth that may be missing in so many keto recipes (the place that browning stage have to be skipped and thickeners added on the final second).
This recipe, as written, makes 4 beneficiant servings, nevertheless it’s fairly simple to double for those who’re feeding a crowd. And because it’s pushing into winter within the non-Florida components of the nation, this soup could be excellent for a warming supper on a cold night.
This wealthy and filling soup is very great with a grilled ham and cheese on 90-second bread, or some toasted up cauliflower sandwich thins, like these from Outer Aisle.
- 3 tbsp. (1.5 oz / 43 g) butter, salted
- 2 oz (57 g) onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. pimento, chopped
- 1 tsp konjac/glucommanan powder
- 1 cup (8 fl oz/ 237 ml) heavy cream
- 2 cups (16 fl oz/ 473 ml) hen inventory
- 8 oz (227 g) broccoli florets, chopped small-ish
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 pinches smoked paprika
- 4 oz (113 g) shredded cheddar (it’s greatest with sharp or further sharp cheddar)
- black pepper, contemporary cracked, to style
- Melt the butter in a pot or massive saucepan, over medium warmth.
- Add onion and pimentos, and sauté till the onion is translucent.
- Sprinkle the konjac/glucommanan powder over the combination, stirring continually, and cook dinner till the onion simply begins to brown.
- Pour within the inventory and cream, and stir nicely.
- Toss within the broccoli, and deliver the combination to a simmer. Cook at a simmer for ten minutes, or till broccoli is tender.
- Add seasonings and stir nicely, then use an immersion blender to crush and cream a number of the broccoli into the soup. If you don’t have an immersion blender, that’s OK! Pulse about half the soup via a meals processor or blender a number of instances to mix in a number of the broccoli. You need the soup to be creamy, however nonetheless have a goodly quantity of broccoli items chunked into the combination, so it doesn’t should be utterly easy.
- Add cheddar cheese to the pot, and stir till it’s melted into the soup.
- Serve instantly and get pleasure from!
Per 1/4 recipe: 432.3 cal, 12.1 g protein, 39.8 g fats, 9.4 g carbs, 2.8 g fiber, 6.6 g NET carbs
Keywords: Soup, broccoli cheddar, fall