This pie was a labor of affection, y’all. I needed to create one thing actually particular for you wonderful of us to share this 12 months at Thanksgiving, however not so loopy as to flip out any non-keto relations lifeless set on the previous requirements. What I got here up with is sort of the delight!
Saucy Ginger Pumpkin Pie is known as for the kick of bourbon within the filling (that’s the “saucy” half) and the gingersnap flavored crust (aka, the “ginger”). This mixture in a pumpkin pie is a flavorful explosion that’s certain to wow your vacation company!
Notes: If you will have little ones at your feast, you’ll be able to very simply scale the bourbon up or down, but when it’s all adults be happy to get actually saucy and add the complete 3 tbsp.!
When making a pumpkin pie, nut-based mostly crusts are inclined to burn due to the lengthy baking occasions custards require. I can’t inform you what number of recipes I’ve adopted to an absolute tee which have had an over-browned or burned crust (together with sides and bottoms) as a result of the chef didn’t adequately account for a way rapidly nuts cook dinner.
To attempt to mitigate that as a lot as doable, I counsel freezing the crust for 1 hour previous to filling and baking. That ensures a really sluggish bake on the underside and sides. The high edges generally is a lot trickier. I at all times use a pie protect after I make pies, and I extremely suggest you accomplish that as nicely. It goes a protracted approach to defending your fairly edges. I additionally counsel maintaining the highest edges of your crust as whilst you’ll be able to with the filling, leaving solely a minimal quantity uncovered. The filling protects the components that it covers deal, so preserve that in thoughts if you’re urgent it up the perimeters of your pie plate.
Another tip: I have a tendency to make use of a thicker ceramic pie plate for custard-based mostly recipes as an alternative of the thinner, glass ones. If you will have a thick ceramic plate, I like to recommend utilizing it.
Ginger Snap Crust:
- 4 oz (113 g) pecan meal
- 1 oz (28 g) Swerve Brown, or brown sugar substitute of selection
- 1 tsp floor ginger
- 1/2 tsp floor cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp floor cloves
- pinch salt
- 1/2 stick (2 oz/ 57 g) unsalted butter, melted
Saucy Pie Filling:
- 1 (15 oz/ 425 g) pure pumpkin puree (ensure that it’s simply canned pumpkin, NOT pie filling)
- 3.5 oz (99 g) granulated Swerve, or equal
- 1 1/2 c (12 fl oz/ 355 ml) heavy cream
- 3 massive eggs
- 2-3 tbsp bourbon (I used 2, however when you like your pie actually saucy, use 3)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp floor ginger
- 20 drops vanilla flavored liquid stevia
To make the crust:
- Combine pecan meal, Swerve Brown, floor ginger, floor cinnamon, floor cloves, and pinch salt. Stir collectively to evenly distribute spices and sweetener.
- Stir within the melted butter and blend nicely to verify the entire combination is moistened.
- Press crust combination right into a 9″ deep dish pie plate. Using the palm of your hand, press evenly into the underside and up the perimeters solely to about 1/4-1/3″ from the lip of the pie plate. Because it is a lengthy bake, you need your pie filling to return nearly even with the highest of your crust to forestall overbrowning or scorching on the highest edges.
- If desired, flute the perimeters across the high for adornment.
- Put the crust within the freezer for 1 hour.
Make the filling:
- Preheat oven to 375 levels F.
- Add pumpkin puree, sweetener, and spices to a mixing bowl and whisk collectively.
- Add the cream, egg, liquid stevia, and extracts to the bowl and whisk very nicely to mix right into a clean batter, being certain to essentially scrape the underside and sides of the bowl so all of the pumpkin and spices blends into the combination nicely.
- Remove the crust from the freezer and place the pie plate on a sturdy baking sheet.
- Open the oven, pull the center rack out a bit, and put the baking sheet within the middle of the protruding rack. You need it out simply sufficient you could pour the filling into the crust however not a lot that it’s tilting an excessive amount of a technique.
- Carefully pour the pie filling into the crust and high with a pie protect to guard any of the crust which may be protruding.
- Gently push the baking rack again into place.
- Bake the pie at 375 levels F for 50-60 minutes. Begin checking at 50 minutes and test each 5 minutes after till the center of the pie is simply set. You need a set high and a little bit wobble (not a slosh) within the center if you jiggle it.
- Remove from the oven and let stand to chill to room temperature. Chill, as desired, and serve topped with a beneficiant dollop of whipped cream.
Per 1 slice of pie: 333 cal, 4.4 g protein, 32.1 g fats, 19.6 g carbs, 2.3 g fiber, 12.8 g sugar alcohol, 4.5 g NET carbs
Keywords: thanksgiving, pumpkin, pumpkin pie, saucy ginger, ginger snaps, holidays, christmas