Shepherd’s Pie is unquestionably consolation meals. We within the West aren’t actually in consolation meals “season” but, however to be sincere, that is a type of dishes that my household eats 12 months-spherical, as a result of it’s simply tasty and by no means fails to hit the spot.
I believe each household has their very own spin on what ought to go into this dish (my mother, for instance, solely ever had meat, the mash topping, and often some cheese), however some Shepherd’s Pie staples are floor meat of some variety, carrot, peas, and possibly potatoes. I’ve seen loads of recipes that decision for gravy mixtures, and others that comprise Worcestershire. Some of us, like mama, add cheese to the highest, others don’t. All-in-all, I believe this dish is so primary that it could possibly truthfully comprise no matter you need.
My aim on this model was to create one thing that hit a lot of the “standard” notes. Ground meat, a savory sauce (with some complimentary herbs, and liquid smoke to supply one thing akin to umami), a number of compliant, chunky veggies combined in to supply some texture, and a creamy mashed topping.
All these important containers are checked!
Notes: If you needed to play with completely different floor meats, like floor lamb for example, be at liberty. You might change up a number of the veg, too, by including some diced daikon radish or turnip, however remember that adjustments the carb rely. If you’ve an herb mix you actually like, be at liberty to make use of it. My solely seasoning advice is to make sure you maintain the liquid smoke and the black pepper. The taste merely isn’t fairly proper with out them.
4.8 g NET carbs per serving
- 2 lb (32 oz/907 g) fatty floor beef (75/25 or 73/27)
- 50 g (1.75 oz) yellow onion, diced
- 50 g (1.75 oz) celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5 oz can (approx. 420 g) inexperienced beans, drained
- 4 oz can (approx. 113 g) mushroom stems and items, drained
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, floor
- 1/2 tsp sugar free liquid smoke
- 1 c (8 fl oz) beef broth
- 1/2 tsp glucomannan powder
- 20 oz (567 g) frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 stick (4 oz/113 g) salted butter
- 1/2 c (8 tbsp/approx. 115 g) bitter cream
- 1/2 tsp dried chives
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F and put together a big casserole dish.
- In a big skillet, start browning the bottom beef over medium-excessive warmth.
- Once the meat has begun giving off its juices, add the onion, celery, and garlic to the skillet to prepare dinner with the meat. Continue cooking till the meat is browned.
- Add inexperienced beans, mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, 1 tsp of the Seasoned Salt, black pepper, and liquid smoke to the skillet and stir.
- Measure out the meat broth, then whisk the glucomannan powder into it briefly to mix. Add the combination to the skillet, then prepare dinner over medium warmth for five minutes or so, to thicken the sauce.
- Transfer the meat combination to the casserole dish and easy the highest. Set apart.
- Cook the riced cauliflower till very delicate, in keeping with bundle instructions, in batches if crucial.
- Transfer the cooked cauliflower rice to a blender or meals processor, add the butter, bitter cream, chives, and remaining 1/2 tsp Seasoned Salt, and course of till it’s a easy purée.
- Spoon the cauliflower combination evenly over the meat combination and easy the highest.
- Bake at 350 wishes F for 35-40 minutes, or till it’s bubbly and the highest is browned to your liking.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes to relaxation earlier than serving.
- Serving Size: 1/8 recipe
- Calories: 485
- Fat: 35.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.5 g (see Description for NET carbs)
- Fiber: 3.6 g
- Protein: 33.5 g
Keywords: Shepherd’s pie, beef, cauliflower, consolation meals