I ain’t gonna lie. I missed cornbread dressing. Specifically, my Granny’s cornbread dressing.
Every Southern household has their very own little twist on this basic, and Granny isn’t any exception. Over time, and thru some stroke of genius, she began including canned diced inexperienced chilies to her recipe. I do not know why, she simply does, and it’s superb. But, as I’ve famous earlier than, I like spicy, zippy meals with slightly Tex-Mex flare. Granny’s dressing isn’t spicy, however there may be only a trace of that taste profile that I simply adore.
So, once I went keto, I’ve to admit that the primary vacation sans Granny’s dressing was robust. I may do with out nearly the whole lot else, however holidays simply weren’t with out a good pan of dressing.
For these not within the know, dressing is what we make as an alternative of stuffing. Stuffing goes contained in the chook. Dressing is baked up in a pan, and it very often options roughly crumbled cornbread as an alternative of cubed wheat bread.
Over the years, I’ve tried a couple of “Ketofied” variations on dressing- together with some variations that had been cauliflower based- however, to be completely frank, none of them hit the spot. No offense is supposed to my cooking counterparts in the neighborhood, however dressing is a kind of issues that it both nails it, or it’s simply plain flawed, and the recipes I’ve tried have fallen into the latter class. The taste was flawed, or the feel was off. I’ve talked about earlier than that keto flours don’t take in moisture in the identical approach as starches do, and so many recipes are at one excessive or the opposite; too dry or too soupy.
So, this Thanksgiving, on a whim, I made a decision to offer it only one extra go, and take a look at my hand at making my very own dressing from scratch. I have already got an excellent cornbread, so I transformed a candy muffin recipe of mine right into a savory one, left all of it out to dry in a single day, and assembled as regular.
The end result was a dressing that’s unmistakably dressing.
None of the same old “good for a keto version” caveats had been required. This dish simply got here out darned good. And as a result of I’m good, I’m now bequeathing it to you.
Now, for the notes: I left the inexperienced chilies out of this recipe, as a result of I do know it’s an odd ingredient, even within the South. If you want shredded or chunked hen, floor and browned sausage, or chopped up arduous-boiled eggs in your dressing, be at liberty so as to add that into the combo. This is primary sufficient which you could completely make it your individual. Trust me once I say I’m not even remotely offended. Different strokes for various people, and all that jazz. Season it how you prefer it, and it’ll nonetheless prove superb (which is the hallmark of a very good recipe, BTW).
The different essential factor to notice is that if you end up including your broth, resist the temptation so as to add rather a lot and make it soupy. Remember that keto-pleasant flours don’t behave as starches and won’t take in all that additional moisture. You need it moist however not- I repeat, not– soupy. Trust me, the collagen that’s naturally within the pork rinds (sure, pork rinds) goes an extended solution to retaining this moist with out being moist with comparatively little added liquid versus that utilized in a standard, starchy dressing or stuffing. I additionally advocate utilizing the next-sided, however shorter (size-clever) casserole dish. I’ve discovered, over time, that even with common dressing a deeper dish that’s not as lengthy helps retain the specified moisture in your dressing. Dressing made within the longer pans tends to be dry, and dry dressing ain’t what you need.
Feel free to throw in any conventional additions your loved ones likes (ie, hen, egg, or sausage). This recipe is without doubt one of the few on the location that doesn’t use loads of weight measurements. That’s as a result of this works greatest in quantity ratios.
- 1 recipe Savory Cheddar Muffins, ready, cooled, and overlooked, uncovered, on the counter in a single day to dry
- 1 recipe Cheesy Cracklin’ Cornbread, ready, cooled, and overlooked, uncovered, on the counter in a single day to dry
- 1/4 cup (2 oz/ 57 g) salted butter, plus slightly additional for making ready the casserole dish
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 giant yellow onion, diced
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried rubbed sage
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups (8 to 12 fl oz/ 237 to 355 ml) hen inventory
- 5 giant eggs, overwhelmed
- Preheat oven to 350 levels F, and rub the edges of a tall (excessive-sided) casserole dish with butter.
- Break the dried muffins and cornbread into tough crumbles and chunks.
- Melt the butter over medium warmth and saute the celery and onion till simply translucent.
- In a big bowl, combine collectively the damaged up muffins and cornbread and the cooked greens (pour any butter within the pan proper in there, too).
- Sprinkle within the seasonings and blend.
- Pour in a single cup of the hen inventory and the overwhelmed eggs and blend till it’s all included and distributed evenly all through the combination. If it appears too dry, chances are you’ll add as much as one other 1/2 cup inventory, however I like to recommend doing it 1/4 cup at a time and provided that completely wanted. Remember, this must be moist and moist, however not soupy.
- Spoon the combination into your ready casserole dish and bake at 350 levels F for 50 minutes.
Baking in the next-sided casserole dish that could be a little shorter (size-clever) helps to let the highest get crisp with out dropping an excessive amount of moisture in the remainder of the dressing. Stir in any further desired substances when including the seasonings.
Per 1/18 recipe: 285 cal, 12.2 g protein, 24.1 g fats, 5.9 g carbs, 2.6 g fiber, 3.3 g NET carbs
- Serving Size: roughly 1/3 cup
Keywords: Holiday, dressing, stuffing, cornbread, cornbread dressing, southern