Summer is right here! In the south, meaning it’s squash time.
Yellow squash is a type of greens that we like to eat right here in Florida when it’s scorching out- primarily as a result of, if in case you have entry to a backyard, it’s most likely popping out of your ears!- and there are a large number of various methods to repair it. My mama prefers it sliced and sautéed on the range, in a great deal of bacon grease. My private choice is in a tacky, baked casserole.
Many years again I stumbled upon a scrumptious stuffed squash recipe that was great sufficient I bothered to ketofy it so my household can proceed to take pleasure in it as part of our wholesome, low-carb way of life. The authentic recipe known as for some low-fats substances (yuck) and a field of stuffing combine. Since that gained’t fly right here in keto world, I made some full-fats substitutions, added some pork rinds for absorption and just a little crispy texture on high, and voila! Stuffed Summer Squash is again on the menu.
Notes: I lately came across some contemporary pattypan squash at an area farmer’s market and, for no actual change to the macros or the feel of the dish, you possibly can substitute it into virtually any yellow squash recipe for a barely totally different taste mixture.
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 1/2 lb (24 oz/680 g) yellow summer time squash, rinsed and dried
- salt and pepper, to style
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 3/4 oz (22 g) minced onion
- 3 oz (85 g) contemporary spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 c (2 fl oz/59 ml) bitter cream
- 2 oz (57 g) sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 oz (14 g) pork rinds, roughly crushed
- Preheat oven to 400 levels F and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Slice every squash in half, size-smart. Drizzle the minimize-facet of every squash with just a little avocado oil and sprinkle calmly with salt and pepper, then place every half, minimize-facet down, onto the baking sheet.
- Bake the squash for quarter-hour then let cool till you possibly can deal with them with out burning your fingers.
- Turn the oven all the way down to 350 levels. Once the squash might be dealt with, scoop out the insides, leaving about 1/2″ round in every half so the remaining squash “shell” is sturdy. Roughly chop the insides and put aside. Leave the squash “shells” on the baking sheet and put aside.
- In a skillet, warmth the butter over medium. Once the butter is melted and foamy, add the diced onion and sauté till translucent and comfortable, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the chopped squash innards and spinach to the skillet and proceed to cook dinner over medium till the spinach is cooked down and effectively wilted. Most of the liquid must be evaporated off the pan.
- Remove from the warmth and stir within the bitter cream, cheese, and half the pork rind crumbs.
- Season with salt and pepper, to style.
- Divide the tacky stuffing evenly between every squash half, then sprinkle the highest with remaining pork rind crumbs.
- Bake at 350 levels F for 15-20 minutes. Filling must be scorching and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and let stand 5 minutes earlier than serving scorching.
Per serving: 125 cal, 5.3 g protein, 8.9 g fats, 6.2 g carbs, 2.6 g fiber, 3.6 g NET carbs
Keywords: stuffed squash, yellow squash, spinach, baked squash, greens, sides